About Us » FAQs


ATTENDANCE HOTLINE: (858) 484-4876

What do I do if my student forgot something?

If your student forgot an item or lunch, please drop it off in the main office. To avoid classroom interruption, the office will call for your child after 10:00 am to retrieve items.

How do I inform the school when my student is absent?

When your child is absent, please call the attendance hotline at 484-4876 before 8:45am each day the student is absent. See Attendance

What if my student is tardy?

Students arriving late to school must come to the main office and sign in on the 'Late Arrival' Clipboard. Parents may excuse up to three tardies for personal reasons per semester. Please remember – Tardy students walking into class impacts the learning environment for everyone. Please be on time.

What are OCIS Contracts?

Should there be a planned absence of five days or more please see or email Rana Balaa [email protected] in the front office, as soon as possible to set up a homework contract for the student. A contract should also be used for extended illnesses. A minimum of one week is required to set up an OCIS Contract.

How late can my student remain on campus after school? How early can they arrive in the morning?

School begins at 7:45am, Monday through Thursday, and at 9:00am on Fridays. Students may arrive Monday through Thursday for playground time 20 minutes before school begins at 7:25am. Supervision is additionally provided to students arriving early on Friday mornings between 7.25am and 8.55am.
Deer Canyon dismisses each day at 2:00pm. Students must be picked up at the end of each school day or report directly to ESS or another after school activity.

What if my student has no lunch?

Please try to avoid sending your child to school without a lunch packed from home, or without lunch money in their account. Lunch deposit envelopes are available in the office. Families are encouraged to deposit some money at the start of the school year into their child’s account in case of forgotten lunch. Please also check your account on a regular basis to ensure sufficient funds remain.

How do I find out how much money is left in my students lunch account?

The main office does not have access to the lunch accounts so you may call PUSD food services office at (858)780-2000 ext.3051 to get this information. Also, you can set up an account with My Schoolbucks.

Where are the lost and found items kept on campus?

If your student has lost a sweatshirt/jacket or any other item, please check our Lost and Found, located inside the school’s main gate. Please be sure to check periodically, as the lost and found items are donated throughout the year.

What if I want to talk to my student’s teacher?

During school hours, you may call the school office number (858-484-6064).  Office staff will assist you in connecting to your teacher’s voicemail where you may leave a message during class time.

What if I want to request homework for my student?

If you would like homework for a student that missed school, please contact the teacher by email. Staff emails can be found under Contacts.